|Front facade of the Chapel of the Franciscan Venerable Third Order, late 1800s to early 1900s.|
The Capilla de la Venable Orden Tercera was a church for the lay branch of the Franciscan Venerable Third Order (VOT). The church was built adjacent to the convent and perpendicular to the mother church of the Franciscans, the San Francisco Church. The original structure was just a small chapel completed in 1618. In 1723, expansion started and it finished in 1733 and was dedicated the following year. Located along Calle Solana, the Neoclassical church complimented its Baroque neighbor. The new church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary under the title, Immaculate Concepcion.
|Franciscan Complex, late 1600s to early 1700s. Notice the different facade of the chapel on the right, before the 1723 renovation.|
Fernando Brambila, Vista de la Plaza de San Francisco en Manila, Museo Naval, Madrid
|1713 illustration showing the Franciscan Complex (O). The plaza, San Francisco Church and the Chapel of the Venerable Third Order. The nearby San Juan de Dios Hospital (N) is also seen near the Parian gate.|
|Franciscan Complex, late 1800s to early 1900s. San Francisco Church and the Chapel of the Franciscan Venerable Third Order on the right|
Harry Withfeild Harnish Photo Collection
The chapel was a casualty of WWII. It was heavily damaged and was not rebuilt like many other buildings in Manila. The Mapúa chapel now stands on the site.